It was announced today, or rather, late last night, that Osama Bin-Laden was killed. The man whom our troops have been searching out for almost 10 years now. A man that played a large role in the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks. A man that can be partially at blame for thousands of deaths of innocent people. He was shot, and was buried at sea less then 24 hours later.
For me personally, it is hard to know the appropriate role or response in this situation. For me, an individual who loves the Lord, and to me, that means loving people. But, who also, like other Americans, wants to see an end to terrorism as a whole. I saw news clips of people dancing and celebrating, as i'm sure you all did too. I don't feel as this is an appropriate response. I don't feel as though death is something that should be celebrated. In Ezekiel 18 it says the following:
"Remember beloved, God has no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather, they should turn from their ways and live."
This whole situation brings me to think of the example of war. I don't like war, and I don't think anyone does, but sometimes, it is necessary. That is the state that our world is in, unfortunately.
I think as christians, it is important to see this event and to mourn the state of our country, of our world, and the state of the human heart as a whole. A country doesn't just arrive at the state ours is in, it slowly becomes that way. And behind choices, whether they are to decide to bomb a building, or to shoot someone in the head, is the human heart.
I personally feel as though my role in this whole situation, as a Christian, is to pray for not just our country, but for our world and the many hearts that make up this world.
I definitely don't claim to know any of the right answers, but I guess there are some of my thoughts to toss around.
For me personally, it is hard to know the appropriate role or response in this situation. For me, an individual who loves the Lord, and to me, that means loving people. But, who also, like other Americans, wants to see an end to terrorism as a whole. I saw news clips of people dancing and celebrating, as i'm sure you all did too. I don't feel as this is an appropriate response. I don't feel as though death is something that should be celebrated. In Ezekiel 18 it says the following:
"Remember beloved, God has no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather, they should turn from their ways and live."
This whole situation brings me to think of the example of war. I don't like war, and I don't think anyone does, but sometimes, it is necessary. That is the state that our world is in, unfortunately.
I think as christians, it is important to see this event and to mourn the state of our country, of our world, and the state of the human heart as a whole. A country doesn't just arrive at the state ours is in, it slowly becomes that way. And behind choices, whether they are to decide to bomb a building, or to shoot someone in the head, is the human heart.
I personally feel as though my role in this whole situation, as a Christian, is to pray for not just our country, but for our world and the many hearts that make up this world.
I definitely don't claim to know any of the right answers, but I guess there are some of my thoughts to toss around.
1 comment:
Lauren, I couldn't agree more! It made me mad to see so many people chanting and cheering. Obviously, that's not going to solve anything.. rather, make things worse. I also agree that our role as Christians is not to rejoice!! Thank you for posting this!
Post a Comment