chalk board

chalk board

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Mommy Advice Please

Okay, quick question for you mom's out there...(or even if your not a mom, and you have some knowledge about it)

Owen has a cough. He is also teething. The cough isn't very deep or hard...but i can hear a little congestion in him. His appitite is also immensely smaller. I've heard a few things (you know you hear a MILLION pieces of advice when your a mom) some of these things include: Creating a "steam" room and letting baby breath it in for a couple minutes(like turning out all your hot water in the bathroom and closing the door) or propping blankets under the mattress where babies head goes. Some mom's even claim that tylenol helps the cough (even though it's not meant specially for a cough, so that's kind of confusing to me?!)

His cough Is definately keeping him awake.

Any suggestions?

3 comments:

Amy said...

Since this is my specialty I feel I should voice my opinion. Feel free to ignore it. Yes letting the hot water run is a great way to temporarily get rid of the congestion. Do you have a humidifier? I know it's kind of crazy since it's summer and all, but the dry air from the air conditioner doesn't help.


I gave Jeremy tylenol when he has colds because it helps with the general aches of a cold. Plus my son loves yummy tasting medicine.

Personally I wouldn't do anything to his mattress. If there is a small chance of hurting himself, my son will find it.

The best thing to do is the most annoying thing for Owen. Spraying saline up his nose and using the bulb syringe to get it out. I hate doing that mostly because Jeremy fights it so much. But it helps a lot. He could have drainage that is making him cough.

Hope he feels better.

Mark, Lauren & Owen Burkey said...

Thank you Amy!
That really gives me some good ideas!! I appreciate it!

Unknown said...

if his mouth is hurting him there are a lot of great "toys" for teething babies..i know some good ones are plastic ones that have water in them and you freeze them and the baby chews on it. The cold is soothing to them and the chewing also helps the process. off topic sort of but you should start wiping owens gums daily with a washcloth or something like that if you aren't already. a lot of kids are very resistant at the beginning of the tooth brushing stage and some take it to extreme measures. if you are wiping his gums he will get used to the stimulation of something in his mouth and he will do much better than most kids when it is time to start with an actual toothbrush. at least thats what my teacher told me :)